The cost airlines pay to operate at Dulles International Airport will jump from $12.77 per passenger today to $60–$65 by 2040 under a $15.5 billion expansion plan the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority board approved unanimously on Wednesday, Aug. 19.

The vote at a special meeting brings Dulles's total planned capital program to $19.9 billion, funded almost entirely by debt, FFXnow reported. MWAA plans to sell $14.2 billion in bonds, issue roughly $1.1 billion in passenger-facility-charge-backed bonds and pursue $150 million in federal grants, according to the authority's board packet.

For Vienna residents who use Dulles as their primary airport, the question is whether those higher airline fees will show up in ticket prices. MWAA board member Judith Batty, representing D.C., said per-enplanement costs are charged to carriers, not passengers directly. "It's not added to the price of a ticket," she said at the meeting.

Aviation analyst Gary Leff pushed back in View from the Wing, arguing that higher operating costs could push smaller carriers to BWI and leave United Airlines, which already handles about 60% of Dulles flights, with even more dominance. Leff calculated that at current traffic levels, the new debt load would produce $62–$90 per enplanement. He noted the projected annual interest on new bonds alone, roughly $935 million, would exceed MWAA's entire 2026 operating budget for both airports combined ($889 million).

The vote was unanimous.

MWAA board chair Mark Uncapher, a Maryland appointee, dismissed concerns about the authority's financial position. "The demographics of our area is very strong, the economy is very strong," Uncapher said.

MWAA President and CEO Jack Potter said the $60–$65 range would keep Dulles competitive with peer airports undergoing their own expansions. Los Angeles International is projected to reach $66.72 per enplanement by 2034, according to figures MWAA presented from DWU Consulting. Chicago O'Hare is projected at $46.82 that same year.

The board also authorized $48 million in spending through the end of 2026 to begin planning. Airlines serving Dulles had already signed off; the required Majority-In-Interest approval from long-term signatory carriers took effect July 2.

What gets built

The $15.5 billion adds to $4.4 billion already budgeted and breaks into five packages:

  • Package A ($6.2B): Main terminal expansion and Concourse A/B renovation, construction starting late 2027
  • Package T ($3.75B): AeroTrain extension and underground center spine, starting early 2029
  • Package C ($4B): Concourse E/F full buildout
  • Package D ($3.7B): New Concourse G/H, east half starting early 2028, west half not until 2039
  • Package B ($2.26B): Demolition of Concourse C/D and a new 33-gate regional concourse, demolition starting early 2031, replacement not until 2039

Major portions of the project will not be finished until the 2040s, a timeline far longer than the decade suggested when President Trump announced the $22.5 billion plan from the White House on July 29. The MWAA board's $19.9 billion scope is also smaller: it does not include the large close-in garage, hotel or glass bridges described at the White House event.

Dulles set a passenger record in 2025 with nearly 13.9 million enplanements, a 6.6% jump over 2024 and the largest growth rate among the nation's 50 biggest airports.

No public comment period or next meeting date for the overhaul has been announced.